Friday, November 9, 2007

A weird Friday evening...

Oh my god, what a week... I can't tell you how happy I am to finally be able to sit here and chill. This week has been nothing but a nightmare in terms of the amount of work I had to finish. Every day I had to hand in some exercises, finalize some project or take an exam or test or something. And that's only university, I'm not even talking about trying to get something done for OLPC Austria (and lots of stuff actually got done this week!) or trying to keep an eye on all the websites I'm reading on a daily basis. And don't get me started on sleep, I think I averaged about 5 hours per night and I certainly didn't feel too thrilled to get up these past few days.

Anyway, now that it's Friday evening and I'm fairly certain that I blew my test about "system programming" this afternoon there's really nothing left for me to do but... Yeah, but what? I've had my fair share of beers in the local student pub after the exam. I made an enormous load of spaghetti for dinner because I didn't really have any time to eat during the day. And now I'm sitting here watching the 5th concurrent episode of Scrubs while I'm slowly deciding to call it a day and spend the rest of the evening at home instead of heading out to party, play pool-billard with my friends or do something else. On the one hand I feel like I should actually go out and do something to celebrate that this week is finally over. On the other hand I'm just so exhausted that I can't really convince myself to go out of the house again.

On some levels it's weird to sit here, finally being able to do what I was looking forward to doing all week: nothing. But I guess somehow you just get used to working (or at least being active) 24/7 so once you finally have the chance to drop out of the Matrix you find yourself not being sure what to spend your time on. Don't get me wrong, my To-Do lists are full with things I should get done, I have plenty of post-its stuck to my laptop which highlight the most important tasks to be completed, I still have two Diggnation episodes to catch up, I need to read the three latest stories over on OLPCnews.com , etc., etc. But I certainly don't feel like doing any of those things tonight because for a change I just want to chill without having to involve too much of my gray matter.

So that's the reason why I'm sitting here, laptop (my main computer) being turned off, not checking my e-mails, not browsing the web and not doing anything particularly useful. Instead I'm writing these lines, watching Scrubs episodes in-between (I'm up to my 8th episode as I write this) and listening to lots of music which I haven't heard in a long time. In no particular order that includes: Libido - En Esta Habitación, The Go Betweens - Finding You, Dido - White Flag, 4LYN - Lyn, Eric Clapton - Layla (Unplugged), 3 Doors Down - When I'm Gone, Antiskeptic - 4 Seasons, The Offspring - Dirty Magic, Yann Tiersen - Comptine d'un autre été l'apres midi, REM - Drive, Goo Goo Dolls - Iris, Mamas and Papas - California Dreaming, Garbage - Androgyny, Lambchop - About My Lighter. Many of these songs bring back memories of certain situations, people, episodes and whatnot and it's great to hear them and drift back through the past. And that's also what I'm going to do for the rest of the evening before I finally go to bed and grab some well deserved sleep...

Have a great weekend everyone!

No comments: