Tuesday, February 5, 2008

My mind is racing...

I'm looking at the clock in the lower-right corner of my screen and it tells me that I have to get up in less than 6 hours because I'll be helping out at the IT'n'T tradeshow (aka nano-CeBIT) here in Vienna for the next three days. That means having to get up at 6:30 a.m. to be there at 8 a.m. You honestly don't want to know how messed up I look when I get up at an insane time such as 6:30 a.m. (Should I post a mugshot first thing tomorrow morning? I didn't think so.) Now extrapolate how messed up I look when getting up at 6:30 a.m. after having slept only ~3 hours because with my current routine I normally don't go to bed before 4 a.m.

So being well aware of all these facts I actually started the process of preparing for those cruel three mornings today by getting up after 5h of sleep, normally I try to clock in ~6 hours. After a very productive day and a great dinner I decided to go for a 35min run at 9:30 p.m., hoping that this would make tired.

And now? It's close to 1 a.m. and my mind is racing. I've spent the last 3 hours working on various projects and ideas, reading websites and skyping with lots of people so naturally I'm in full-throttle fl0w-mode, ready to work until the early morning. So how on earth am I supposed to go to bed right now and fall asleep? It simply won't work. I'll be lying there, thinking about a million things, thinking about all the things I could be working on instead of lying there and slowly becoming angry about such an utter waste of time. Because that's what always happens. And this is the reason why I normally work until I'm fairly tired because that way I just go to bed, turn out the light and fall asleep immediatly. (Which of course results in the occasional dream about Java exceptions and 1's and 0's, I'll leave it up to the audience to decide whether those are signs of healthy sleep.)

Anyway, enough with the ranting already, I'll now check my e-mails for the last time and then I'll go and try get some sleep. In case you see another blog-entry appear within the next few hours be prepared for some serious ranting, b!tching and complaining, definitely NSFW...

1 comment:

Gregor Martynus said...

HAHA you really should go to sleep right now! But hey, don't forget to post a mugshot ;-)

What always helps me to fall asleep is my favored podcast: HR2 Der Tag. Give it a try.