Thursday, April 10, 2008

Thoughts on Flickr Video

In case you've missed it:
If you’re a pro member, you can now share videos up to 90 glorious seconds in your photostream. ["Video on Flickr"]
I'm going to play devil's advocate here and ask:
Who needs Flickr Video? [me, now]
Or less provocative:
Who needs Flickr Video when there's blip.tv, revver.com, YouTube and a million other video-sharing websites? [me, a minute later]
Just like there'll always only be one Digg with and one Slashdot with a million also-rans following them I don't believe that the world really needs another video-sharing platform. Really, what incentive is there for posting a video-clip on Flickr Video instead of any of the other websites that I've mentioned above? Maybe because the 90 second limit is so alluring as someone suggested in a comment:
...the 90 seconds is akin to the Twitter 140 character limit (perhaps). Look at it as a chance to be concise and powerful.
Yeah, right...

Flickr Video is Yahoo's attempt to catch up with Google's YouTube by hitchhiking on the popularity of the photo-sharing website and its strong community.

In my opinion this will go down in history as:
Too little, too late. [me, 3 minutes later]

No comments: