Tuesday, January 29, 2008

So Far Away

"It's you that I adore
You'll always be my whore
"
(Smashing Pumpkins - Ava Adore)

Those were the lyrics I was listening to while I was riding home from a meeting with a friend on one of those cool (and free!) City Bikes that we have here in Vienna. I'm currently listening to a lot of Smashing Pumpkins in preparation for going to their concert on Thursday evening, incidently also the day of my last exam, so that shall be quite the night.

Anyway, the reason why I'm calling this entry "So Far Away" is that tonight was another one of those moments that made me realize that I'll be spending a lot of time away from my friends (and vice-versa) in the years to come. The occasion today was saying good-bye to a friend who's heading to Santiago de Chile next week for his joint-study-exchange. Another friend will also be heading to Barcelona next week to spend several months working there as part of an EU-sponsored programm. One of my closest friends is currently on Erasmus in Cadiz and will get back in mid-February.

Having many close friends who enjoy travelling and living in other places as much as I do certainly doesn't seem like a disadvantage at first. Especially since every time we meet someone is able to tell one story or another that happened in Granada, Jerusalem, Nizza, Buenos Aires or elsewhere. Combine that with the fact that I tend to spend quite a lot of time outside of Austria myself (8 1/2 weeks in 2007 if I'm not mistaken) and with an outstanding chance for an internship in *cough* *cough* starting in *cough* *cough* (details will be mentioned in due time;-) and it's already starting to be hard to really meet up with people. Hell, in some cases it takes 6 weeks of planning ahead to arrange for something simple (yet delicious) such as going to a cocktail bar with one of my best friends (incidently she's currently spending some time in Israel).

What am I trying to say here? Well, honestly I'm not quite sure. It's hard to be able to complain about knowing awesome people who spend a lot of time making great experiences in places that are 'far away' when you're such a person yourself. However I do have to admit that sometimes I wish people spent more time 'at home' so it would be easier to meet up with them.

Anyway, it's getting late and I shall have to get up in 4 hours...

No comments: