Monday, May 19, 2008

Serj Tankian - 05/15/2008 - '9:30 Club' Washington, DC

As mentioned in my brief entry about the Apocalyptica concert I decided to go to the Serj Tankian (of System of a Down fame) concert when I found out that he was coming to town. Needless to say it was a great show!

I had spent a lot of time listening to his first record called "Elect the Dead" on his MySpace site where you can enjoy the complete album without any restrictions. The concert started with "Empty Walls" which I embedd here for your convenience (and because I want to look at the video again).


It was followed by the rest of his songs, obviously with only having one record out at the moment there weren't too many surprises. However it was definitely a very lifely concert, with a highly motivated audience that had a serious mosh pit going in front of the stage. Also with Serj Tankian being the crazy f*** that he is there's no chance of boredom. He catered to the crowd with some experimental music sessions which at times reminded me of minimal electro. While he also played the guitar a couple of times it's actually at the piano where he really shines. Plus of course there's his voice which when amplified by the 9:30 Club's great PA system makes for a very memorable experience in itself.

All in all another great concert to be remembered for a long time.


Unfortunately the outlook now is relatively grim as they're no good shows coming up in the forseeable future. Pearl Jam will be in town in mid-June but at $69 per ticket I'm not sure I want to go... Anyway, let's see what happens.

No comments: