Monday, July 14, 2008

Austrian politics meets blogging

It's funny how I recently said that I don't like writing about politics but here I am again doing just that. The reason is that a recent blog comment (German only) by Christoph Chorherr from the Austrian Green Party which called for ideas and suggestions for posters for the upcoming elections has been meet with an incredible response: Within 3 days lots of people submitted great designs and the story was quickly picked up by the German blogosphere (ha, Google's spellchecker doesn't recognize the word!). Here are three of my favourites:

Stop smoking
Do more sports
Drink less
Vote Green
Finally do something sensible!

Even with a good economy not everyone is doing good.
We also see it that way.

A grand coalition will fail again.
We also see it that way.

I'm not one to wear clothes with messages advertising political parties but I could almost go for a t-shirt with the top-most design as I certainly think this is a cool slogan.

In general I've been following Christoph Chorherr's blog for probably 1 1/2 years now and most days it's a pretty good read. I certainly consider him to be one of the most interesting and best politicians in Austria. (Admittedly the overall level is so low that this isn't really all that hard.)

Anyway, the jury ist still out there as to whether this thing will have any impact whatsoever on the campaign by the Austrian Green Party. Personally I somewhat doubt it but it's still a cool thing to watch evolve and maybe maybe also a sign of things to come with regards to the role of the Internet as a medium in Austrian politics.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

How Austrian nation will behave? Will they elect leading parties again, or will it be a surprise victory of another party? http://www.votetheday.com/europe-21/austrias-parliamentary-election--291