Thursday, November 1, 2007

A Closer Look at Asus Eee PC Impact on OLPC

I stayed up until 4.30 a.m. the other night to write a story for OLPCnews.com about the Asus' eee PC's impact on the OLPC project and low-cost computing in general. The story had been floating around my head for at least a week or two but like with so many other things I simply hadn't found the time to sit down and write it. Anyway, here's a short snippet from it:

"In the end what I'm trying to say here is that the Asus eee PC project gives us a good glimpse of where things might be heading in the future when it comes to low-cost computing. Having said that I'm still convinced that the X0 is currently the best computing device for educating children in the developing world. And OLPC will always be remembered for making the world aware of the demand for low-cost computing.

However Asus and others are quickly learning and catching up and soon they will have great devices for a variety of other low-cost ICT requirements. And I'm sure that OLPC could learn another trick or two from them...
"

You can read the full article here. And hopefully the long weekend we have around here will allow me to write up another article that I've been thinking about.

No comments: